Dominic Thiem steamrolled Novak Djokovic 7-6 6-3 6-0 to book his place in the semi finals of the 2017 French Open.
That’s right, the big-hitting 23-year old Austrian bagelled the 12 time Grand Slam champion. The last time these two faced off was in the semi finals of Rome last month, where Djokovic obliterated Thiem 6-1 6-0. Now the Austrian has taken his revenge with a bagel of his own.
Djokovic is obviously not used to being bagelled. You can literally count on your fingers the number of times he has been. To put into perspective just what an impressive performance this was from Thiem, we’ve compiled a list of some incredible facts/statistics related to Djokovic being bagelled:
- This was only the 9th time that Novak Djokovic has been bagelled in his career.
- The last person to defeat Djokovic with a bagel was Roger Federer back in 2012. Federer beat the Serb 6-0 7-6 in the finals of Cincinnati. The last bagel Djokovic received was in Rome, 2016 against Thomaz Bellucci. However, Djokovic went on to win the match 0-6 6-3 6-2.
- The last time Djokovic lost with a bagel in a Grand Slam was over 12 years back, in the first round of the 2005 Australian Open against Marat Safin (Djokovic lost 0-6, 2-6, 1-6 ).
- The last bagel Djokovic received in a Grand Slam was also back in 2005, in the US Open first round against Gael Monfils. He went on to win the match 7-5, 4-6, 7-6(5), 0-6, 7-5.
- This was only the 4th time, Djokovic has lost a match after losing a set 6-0. Of the 9 times he has received a bagel, he has actually gone on to win 5 of them.
After this incredible performance against Djokovic, Thiem next faces Rafael Nadal. Can he put on another impressive display against the king of clay in his own backyard? We can’t wait to find out!